WEMYSS MALTS PEAT CHIMNEY
Wemyss Malts Peat Chimney is based on intense Islay malts matured in refill casks. This showcase their pungent peaty glory. Peat Chimney is selected and blended from 10 single malt scotch whiskies.Country of origin Scotland
PUNGENT PEATY GLORY
Peat Chimney is selected and blended from 10 single malt scotch whiskies. Casks used for the maturation of the whisky in Scotland are almost always used more than once in their lifetime, supplied from America as ex bourbon barrels or from European wine or sherry producers. A refill barrel is perfect for showing off the briny and smoky character of an Islay malt without overwhelming it with wood influence.
The blenders have selected malts from the Isle of Islay, in particular distilleries that use heavily peated malted barley. Islay sits to the west of Scottish mainland within the Inner Hebrides and is renowned for its production of bold, uncompromising malt whisky. Several Islay distilleries collect the spirit with only the heaviest character to use in their malt whisky. Peat smoke contains chemicals called phenols and these phenols are absorbed by the malted barley during the drying process in a kiln. The level of smokiness of a whisky is determined by the time the barley grain is exposed to the peat smoke during klining.
Color: Honey gold.
Nose: Fragrant heather smoke drifts over baked peach and apricot with hints of orange peel.
Palate: Warm peat smoke puffs over a shot of espresso laced with muscovado sugar. A flinty freshness gives way to crisp apple and pear crumble with toasted oatmeal.
Finish: A sweet smoke slowly sizzles to a softer finale.
Wemyss Malts is a boutique independent bottler based in Scotland. Wemyss is pronounced” Weems” and is the Scots word for caves. Wemyss is named after the caves on the rocky shore of Fire beside Wemyss Castle which is the historic family home of the Wemyss family. The Wemyss family has a long association with whisky. John Haig, who is the founder of Haig’s, built his first distillery on Wemyss land at the turn of the 19th century.
Wemyss Malts today
William Wemyss is the chairman and founder of Wemyss Vintage Malts. He is a direct descendent of the 3rd Earl of Wemyss. The Earls’s signature is used on the Wemyss range packaging. Since 2005, Wemyss Malts had been producing blended malts, blended Scotch and Single cask whisky. In 2014, Wemyss Malts opened Kingsbarns Lowland Distillery with the aim of releasing a classic lowland malt in 2018.
Today Wemyss Malts uses the unsurpassed knowledge and expertise of Charlie Maclean. Charlie is a writer and a specialist. His special subject is Scotch whisky. Charlie is an authority on malt whisky having written many books on the subject and granted the rare honor of being elected Master the Quaich, the industry’s highest accolade, in October 2009. Charlie had developed the whisky recipes for the blended malts and oversees the cask selection for the single cask bottling range.
The different types of Scotch Whisky
• Single Malt Scotch Whisky: A Scotch Whisky distilled at a single distillery from water and malted barley without the addition of any other cereals, and by batch distillation in pot stills.
• Blended Scotch Whisky: A blend of one or more Single Malt Scotch Whiskies with one or more Single Grain Scotch Whiskies.
• Blended Malt Scotch Whisky: A blend of Single Malt Scotch Whiskies, which have been distilled at more than one distillery.
Besides that, there are also two categories of Scotch Whisky: Single Grain Scotch Whisky and Blended Grain Scotch Whisky.
Short facts on blended whisky
• The aim with blended whisky is to produce a whisky that is rounded in character and suitable to the majority of consumers.
• Today over 90% of the Scottish whisky industry comprise of blended malts.
• Blending is a combination of both art and science. A blender needs to be a flavor expert that can 1) Identify the huge range of flavours and aromas in individual whiskies, 2) Be able to understand at what stage specific flavours originate in whisky production so they can source them again and 3) Understand how individual whiskies will interact when blended together with up to 50 others.
• A blenders stock is never consistent. They may have to find replacement malts from different distilleries but with similar characteristics.
The Wemyss Malts Blended Malt Range 2016
Each of Wemyss Malts blended malts represents a distinct flavor profile. The whiskies are named after their natural tastes and aromas meticulously crafted by their blenders careful selection and blending of core and signature malts. These are all non-age statement whiskies, bottled at 46% ABV and non chill-filtered.
Wemyss Malts is a boutique independent bottler based in Scotland. Wemyss is pronounced” Weems” and is the Scots word for caves. Wemyss is named after the caves on the rocky shore of Fire beside Wemyss Castle which is the historic family home of the Wemyss family. The Wemyss family has a long association with whisky.